The B.C. Ministry of Agriculture Plant Health Laboratory provides identification of
pathogenic and non-pathogenic disorders affecting commercial crops in British Columbia and
promotes reduced pesticide use by making control recommendations which
emphasize Integrated Pest Management. The Plant Health Lab is part of
the Plant Health Unit in the Plant and Animal Health Branch. Its services help
growers protect the production capability and marketability of their crops.
To learn more about the services provided by the lab, please refer to the following brochure: Plant Health Laboratory (pdf, 840 kb)
Submission of samples to the Plant Diagnostic Lab
- Specimens must be fresh. Use plastic bags.
- Send as much as possible of a typical diseased (not dead or badly decayed)
plant, including roots. Do not include moist paper towels when sending
- Try to send several plants or plant parts showing the various stages of
infection; include a healthy plant for comparison.
- Dig up plants rather than pulling them from the ground to preserve the
feeder roots. If plants are potted, send the whole pot. Enclose roots and
pots in a plastic bag or wax paper that is secured at the plant crown to
prevent drying of roots and contamination of the leaves with soil.
- Wrap the top of the plant in a plastic bag secured at the plant crown.
- Turf disease samples must be at least 10 cm and as deep as the roots. A
cup cutter size is perfect for greens and tees. Wrap the sample in plastic
to prevent drying. Include the margin of the affected areas in each
- Fill out and include a submission form.
- Enclose payment with your submission form. Fees for diagnostic services are outlined on the submission form.
- Urgent or perishable samples should be brought in person to the lab or sent by courier.
Note, for more tips on submitting a good sample, please refer to the
Please print and complete the submission form and mail
with your sample.
Send samples to the following address:
Plant Health Laboratory,
B.C. Ministry of Agriculture
Abbotsford Agriculture Centre,
1767 Angus Campbell Road,
Abbotsford B.C., V3G 2M3
Tel: 604 556-3126 (directly) or 1-800-661-9903 (main office)
Fax: 604 556-3154
Where we are located
*The Adobe Acrobat Reader is needed to view PDF files. This program may
be downloaded free of charge from the Adobe web site